STEAMED YAM CAKE
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup dried shrimp (soaked, drained and coarsely chopped)
10 nos finely chopped shallots 1 1/2 cup yam, cut into 1 - 2cm cubes
2 1/2 cup water
2 1/4 cup rice flour
1 tablespoon wheat starch
1/4 cup Captain Oats (instant)
1 teaspoon five spice powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper powder
1/2 table spoon oil for greasing
Garnishing 1 stalk green onion, chopped into 1 - 2cm long 1/4 cup fried shallots
1. Lightly oil a pan over medium-high heat. Add in the dried shrimps. Stir fry for about a minute and add in shallots. Stir fry until aromatic and lightly browned.
2. Add in the diced yam, mix, and fry until lightly browned.
3. In a bowl, mix in water, rice flour, wheat starch, oats, five spice powder, salt and white pepper powder. Stir to form a smooth batter.
4. Add this batter to the pan and stir to mix everything well. The mixture will thicken almost instantaneously.
5. Once well mixed, pour the mixture into a well-greased heatproof pan. Transfer the pan into the steamer and cover.
6. Steam on high heat for 45 minutes. Test its readiness with a skewer/chopstick. A skewer/chopstick that comes out clean indicates that the yam cake is ready.
7. Remove the pan from steamer. Garnish with crispy fried shallots and spring onion all over the top.
8. Let it cool before cutting it into pieces to be served