Lentil and Oats Salad
Go meat-free today with this healthy alternative that’s rich in fiber and low in fat.
1/4 cup yellow lentils (soaked in water for 2 hrs)
3 cups water
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 medium tomato (cut into small cubes)
2 stalks celery (finely sliced)
1/4 medium green capsicum (cut into small cubes)
1 small onion (cut into small cubes)
1 small avocado (cut into small cubes)
30g coriander leaves
1/4 cup Captain Instant Oatmeal, toasted
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 turmeric powder
3 cloves garlic (finely crushed)
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tbsps vegetable oil
- Place lentil, water & cumin seeds in a saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl place cold lentils, tomatoes, celery, green and red capsicum, onion and avocado.
- Add in ground black pepper and coriander leaves. Mix well and keep in the refrigerator for 1⁄2 hour.
- To make the dressing, in a screw top bottle, combine coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, garlic, vinegar and oil. Mix well and refrigerate for 1⁄2 hour.
- To serve, add the dressing to the lentil salad and mix well. Sprinkle the toasted oats and stir quickly and serve.